Sunday, October 31, 2010

Plum Torte- 1983



Plum Torte



David Leite Posted a link to this recipe on his blog- If you want to make it yourself (If you don't have the book yet- Mine is on the way!)


Plums always remind me of the summer, of car trips, jammed into the back of my dad's tiny pickup truck, my cousins sitting alongside, heading to the beach or to Hacklebarney State Park.  The sweet-tartness of plums that make your mouth pucker a little and make you want another bite, and another one. I picked the plums that I used (black plums) because they are dark and looked like they would be on the more tart side, and I thought that would balance well with the sweet batter.
Plum torte Assembly

This recipe was one of the most requested to be put in the cookbook, and it was run in the paper a dozen times.  It's easy to see why!  The plums are sweet and a little tart, the lemon adds brightness, and the cinnamon adds a depth to a simple batter.  I don't know that I would have paired plums and cinnamon, but it is certainly a tasty match.


I was having a moment of panic when I realized that I didn't have a springform pan, and It turned out my mother didn't either, but I went to my Grandad's house, and he had one that he wasn't using, and lent it to me.  He also said he didn't mind if it went to Baltimore with me, which is good, because I'm willing to bet there are more recipes that require a springform pan coming.


The batter came together quickly, and made the house smell great.  I am definitely adding this to my culinary repertoire,  to make again and again. 

2 comments:

  1. at one point, I had something like 7 springform pans. people kept giving them to me. i don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this a couple of times this winter. I was skeptical that this would freeze well, but it really was even better when I froze and thawed it. It's a terrific recipe. Can't wait to make it with local in-season plums.

    ReplyDelete