Monday, January 17, 2011

Brown Sugar Ice Cream

There are no pictures of failure.

I hate custards.  Wait, no, that's a lie.  I love to EAT custards, I hate to make them, because apparently, I fail at them on a regular basis. see: Pots de Creme. The problem with this, however, is that lots and lots of ice cream bases are custards.  (especially the ones in this book)  So I am going to have to learn, come hell or high water.

I am fairly certain that this is user error, as opposed to cookbook error. 

The epic fail began when I was cooking the brown sugar in a saucepan until it "was a chestnut color"  so I was watching, and stirring, and approximating, and finally I figured it was okay (the sugar was bubbling up pretty crazily), and set it to rest for 15 minutes. I think that one of the things that may have helped me here is a temperature reading- I am pretty familiar with making caramel sauce, and am well acquainted with my candy thermometer, and I think knowing what temp I was aiming for would have been helpful. When the resting time was over, the sugar was melted,  but still a little gritty in the pan, so I'm not sure if i undercooked it or not.  (this would not matter, later)

While it was resting, I whisked the eggs, and set the milk in a saucepan to scald. I tempered the eggs, and poured the egg/ milk mixture back into the milk, turned the heat down,and then began to whisk.  I was looking for a spoon, so i could test the thickness of the custard, when I lifted the whisk out of the milk and egg mixture, and noticed that there were tiny pieces of scrambled egg attached to it. My heart sank, and I killed the heat on the stove, and thought, maybe, if the eggs hadn't scrambled toooo much, I could take my sieve, and pour the milk/egg mixture through it, and have a salvaged ice cream base. Which I guess was good in theory, but in practice, I had scrambled much more of the egg than I realized, and half of the mixture stayed in the sieve.  Cursing profusely, I trashed the entire thing.

I know I made a rule about not repeating recipes that I've made,  but i feel like i need to give this one a second chance.  Maybe next time with a double boiler.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should try again. you can do it!!

    I've made custard based ice cream before and if I can do it, anyone can. Despite my attempts to cook, i think I'm pretty clueless.
    I think this is the recipe I used: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/vanilla-ice-cream-recipe/index.html
    I'm sure it's basically the same, but it might differ in how fast and how much of the hot cream you add to the eggs.

    Plus, if you CAN do it, custard ice cream is freaking delicious. I think it'll be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete