Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Chocolate Dump-It Cake- 2002

A link to the recipe in the NYT website is here

Birthday Cake!

I have, up to this point, not been much of a cake-baker (this will change, shortly, as there are a ton of cake recipes in the book)  I tend to stick to cupcakes, because of the portability factor, and, to be honest, the cuteness factor. (who doesn't love a cupcake?) 

But! The book calls, and when it was my sister's birthday, and she requested chocolate cake,  I landed on this one, which, in the headnote says is a great birthday cake.  This, I can confirm.  It was easy to put together, melting the chocolate in a saucepan, stirring the ingredients together,  sifting the dry ingredients, and then pouring the batter into the pan.  I put it in the oven for the allotted time, and then didn't have any problems getting it out of the pan when it had cooled a little.

Putting together the frosting is super quick and easy-  you melt chocolate in a double boiler, and add sour cream. stir, and frost cake. The result is slightly tangy, chocolatey frosting.

I cut it in half,  to make two layers, frosted it, and served it as Birthday Dinner Dessert for my sister. This cake is an awesome, chocolatey cake- not too dark, with a lighter tasting frosting. It's a good go -to chocolate cake to have in your arsenal. So make it! It doesn't have to be for a  birthday, it can just be because you want cake!

And Happy Birthday, Jack!  It only took me a month after your birthday to get the post up.

2 comments:

  1. is there a hole in the middle of the cake? And did Jackie turn 4? :) looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great cake recipe - again, easy to make (although a little tricky to turn out of the pan; two people really helps), simple ingredients and amazingly tasty. The second time I made it, I substituted peppermint bark for some of the chocolate chips (out of necessity) and it turned out terrific. It was for a pre-Christmas party, so I also crushed some candycanes and sprinkled on top (but do this at the last minute or it bleeds everywhere). The candycanes took some of the tartness away from the frosting - imparted by the sour cream (although I like the tartness and so wouldn't do it except for the holidays).

    ReplyDelete