Monday, December 20, 2010

Teddie's Apple Cake- 1976

Note: I know I haven't updated in a while, but I've still been cooking! Expect more entries soon, as my life gets a little less crazy.  For now, here's Teddie's Apple Cake.

At my workplace, we have a Holiday party every year, to which different departments are assigned different things to make. This year, my department got dessert, so I busted out the cookbook, and landed on something that I thought would be relatively easy and quick to make on a work night. I gathered my ingredients, mixed them, and set the cake to bake, and it made my apartment smell fantastic on a snowy night last week.

For some reason, I thought that Apple Cake would taste much more virtuous than this one does. In my head, it was kind of in the vein of banana bread, or a muffin, or something equivalent to that.  I seek to dispel any of those notions with this cake.  It is sweet, and nutty, and much more cake like than I expected.  The apples and raisins do a great job of keeping the cake moist, and the outside edge of the cake crackles a little with the sugar in the batter that caramelizes as it bakes in the tube pan. 

The headnote in the recipe suggests serving this with ice cream, which would not be out of place for sure, but as I was eating it I definitely could see it slathered with cream cheese frosting as well.  A great cake to add to my quickly growing arsenal of delicious cakes that I bake.  (Plus! I was asked for the recipe twice, which is always a good sign)

3 comments:

  1. I've made this twice and it turned out well both times. Very easy to make, simple ingredients, and totally delicious - the triumvirate of a favorite. It has a really crunchy surface, yet stays moist for days. The first time I used grannysmith apples and pecans (I was out of walnuts, which is what the recipe "calls for"); the second, honeycrisp apples and walnuts. I think I preferred the pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it good? I have been debating making it again, but other cake recipes await...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so lame and it's so good, I'm making for a third time today (to take to a party).
    Although I'm going to branch out tomorrow and make the almond cake (with seven ounces of almond paste).

    ReplyDelete