Friday, December 3, 2010

Yette's Garden Platter 1969

IMG_6007

When I was having the dinner party Thanksgiving weekend,  I was just going to have the chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, some good crusty french bread, and for my dad, the steamed green beans ( my dad thinks that any dinner without a green vegetable is incomplete).  I was all set to go, when a (very welcome but) unexpected vegetarian was thrown into the mix. (side note: unexpected vegetarian is a great name for a band)  I wanted something that would be hearty and filling, and as I was leafing through the vegetable chapter, I kept seeing things that looked tasty, but that were also made with meat. (Brussels sprouts with Bacon, you are calling to me! I will be making you soon!)

I also wanted something that was main-dish-y so that my vegetarian guest didn't feel like she got the short shrift. I happened upon Yette's Vegetable platter, and I'm glad I did. potatoes, topped with zucchini, and a tomato herb mixture, and then baked in the oven until browned on the top. (I omitted the onions, because the guest did also not eat onions). This, I think is an excellent vegetarian main, that I will be making again. I am going to make it again (with onions) because I bet that will make it even better.  I also think next time I will use smaller potatoes (these were fairly large white potatoes) maybe some small red skin potatoes... excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment