Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Shrimp and Artichoke Casserole

Shrimp and Artichoke Casserole

Because I've been so lame at posting, some of these dishes were cooked awhile ago, and I"m just writing aboutt them now. 

For Glee Tuesday (My weekly tradition of dinner and tv with friends) I've been using that as an excuse to work on project dinners. My friend Julie is doing South Beach, so I was looking through to find recipes that are not super carb heavy, and I landed on this one.  (I have also wanted to make it for awhile)  It has lots of things that I love: artichokes, shrimp.mushrooms- YUM.

You begin by making a delicious bechamel, that covers shrimp, artichokes, and sauteed mushrooms, you top with parmesan cheese, and paprika (Amanda Hesser suggests using smoked paprika, which I HEARTILY CONCUR- it takes the dish to the next level)  and bake it in the oven.

I served it over wilted spinach, which I wouuld do again in a heartbeat- it was even better than serving it over pasta, or rice, I think- the spinach was the perfect compliment to the dish.  If it didn't involve artery clogging heavy cream, I would definitely make this all the time. Alas, it will have to be relegated to special occasions, which will give me even more to look forward to.

3 comments:

  1. Val, went looking for the recipe and found your twitter on the first page of Google hits for "Shrimp and Artichoke Casserole nyt". Go, you!

    But I can't find the recipe I think you used (no parm in these.) Could you link me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. woot woot!!! i wish you lived close to me... so we could cook together! I need to learn how to cook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although making this requires several pots and pans (one for boiling shrimp, one for bechamel sauce, one for browning mushrooms, one for baking), it is really QUICK to prepare and a perfect after-work weeknight dish. Definitely ready to pop in the oven in a half-hour, and less to bake.
    I halved the canned artichoke hearts to distribute them more evenly over the bottom of the baking dish, but otherwise followed the recipe. I served it over rice with a spinach salad (and David Eyre's pancake with Nutella for dessert). Smoked paprika was a great suggestion. This has the flavor of a "ladies' luncheon dish," although I made it for mixed company last night to rave reviews. It was yummy!

    ReplyDelete