Thursday, December 30, 2010

Martinis!

For anyone who loves gin as much as I do, It is surprising to me even, that I had not ever had a martini before I made these ones for the project.
 
When my friend Paul asked what he could bring to dinner, I asked him to bring some fun olives, because I knew we would be having martinis with dinner. And fun olives he did bring! Ones stuffed with almonds, and ones stuffed with sundried tomato, and some kind of orange zest.
  
I mixed them in a large mason jar with a lid, (because I am Classy, and don't have a bar set) and poured them into wine glasses (see again re: classy)  and we each chose an olive to plop into our drink. I used my basic budget gin (New Amsterdam, in case you're wondering- I read an article somewhere... Real Simple? Somewhere online? That named it as one of the best gin bargains, and I have to say, it's pretty good)
 
I don't know where this drink has been my whole drinking life!  the gin really shines through, and the salty-briny of the olives offsets it nicely.
 
A definite win!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't made the martini yet, but made the Normandy for New Year's Eve (sans cranberries which were already out of the store), served with a splash of Pelligrino. It is a strong drink, but went down smoothly and has a perfectly seasonal flavor (uses apple brandy).

    ReplyDelete