Thursday, November 18, 2010

Basic Corn Chowder

Basic Corn Chowder


I am going to say up front that I took some liberties with this recipe.   I did not have corn on the cob, (and it is DEFINITELY not the time of year for it, so I subbed it out for canned corn. I know. terrible) The recipe has you take the corn off the cob, and then make a stock out of the corn cobs that is the liquid in the chowder.   I am going to re-make this recipe again in corn season, because I think making the corn stock would be really good,  However, it was rainy, and cold, and miserable out, and I wanted some delicious and creamy corn chowder.

The recipe also has variations for making the corn chowder with bacon and cream, instead of milk, And since I overbought cream for the chicken fricassee... and had leftover bacon from when I made the risotto, I thought, might as well!  If you have the book, I suggest, (as it is suggested in the headnote of the recipe) to do these additions, because I think the soup would suffer mightily without them.

Usually when I make corn chowder, I add carrots, and celery, and ham, so that there are a lot of elements going on. This was a stripped down version of corn chowder- Creamy,  with bits of potato, and bacon and corn.  I served it with some crusty bread, and  It was a good match for the night- it was cold, and rainy and gross outside. 

I feel like I should reserve judgement on this recipe, because I didn't make it from the corn stock, and I don't know if my substitutions affected the recipe. But I will say this- I am not a fan of thin broths, and even though this one had a lot of cream in it, (and therefore was tasty)  I much prefer a thickened, heartier broth.  It feels weird, but for the first time, I think I prefer my version of corn chowder.  I had leftovers for lunch today, and it re-affirmed my... ambivalence?  To the recipe.  it was good (I mean, bacon, cream, potatoes and onion can't go much wrong) but I think I will have to make it again in early fall when there is still fresh corn around.

1 comment:

  1. i concur. NYT should print your corn chowder recipe. it is way more delicious.

    ReplyDelete