Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Butternut Squash Cider Soup- 1993

Butternut squash cider soup

This recipe is fantastic. light, and just creamy enough, with excellent butternut squash flavor and a real flavor of apples which was surprising to me, I think I assumed that the squash would bowl over the cider spices, but it's not true at all. You can really taste the apple in the soup.
 
You start by sweating shallot and garlic in a saucepan, and then steaming the butternut squash with some chicken stock, blending (I used my immersion blender)  then blending in sour cream, and apple cider.  you serve finely diced granny smith apple on top, and it provides a really nice texture contrast with a bit of tartness.
 
This recipe has been making the rounds as a starter for Thanksgiving, and if my family was the kind that deviated from our traditional meal at all,
 
I made the soup and it was a little thick- I should have thinned it out some- but this recipe, like a bunch of the ones I've made before, is one I want to make again and again (this is not helpful, seeing as I still have over a thousand recipes still left. in the cookbook.
 
(I still have some butternut squash leftover, so I'm making it tonight as a starter for dinner)

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to make this several days in advance and travel with it to another state. So, I made a triple batch which I froze before adding the dairy, and then thawed it out days later at our friends' home, added dairy and finishing touches (I used honeycrisp apples), and served it to accolades. It is relatively light and so a perfect first course for Thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete