Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Beet Tzaziki- 2006

IMG_2783


I love beets. It's not a surprise that this is one of the first recipes that I picked out of the cookbook, because it combines many things that I love: dill, greek yogurt, garlic.  The dip comes together pretty easily- The recipe instructs you to boil the beets or roast them, but I took the shortcut of the pre-packaged steamed beets from Trader Joe's because they are A) tasty and B) always in my fridge. I think the next time I make it though, I might cook the beets myself, because I think, in this dish, it would be okay if the beets were a little bit undercooked- with a bit of a crunch. With regular tzaziki, the cucumber is usually a little bit crisp, giving a foil to the creamy yogurt.  That wasn't so much the case here with the beets. 

It is really tasty. The beets give the dip a sweetness that is offset by the garlic and dill, and the lemon brightens it up.  My sister said that it would make a good spread for a sandwich, and I bet that she's right. (plus, imagine the look on your co-worker's faces when you pull out your hot pink sandwich!)

2 comments:

  1. I love beets! I will be trying this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was amazing. I will most definitely make it for the next party I go to.

    ReplyDelete