Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Perfect Batch of Rice- 1978

Salmon in Foil
Yes, I know I used this picture before... I probably should have taken some other ones.

I think everyone has culinary things that they are anxious to make. Some people are afraid of bread baking, some people hate candymaking, other people fear the mashed potatoes turning into a gluey, terrible mess.  None of those are my fears- I can make some kickass candy, my mashed potatoes are fluffy and delicious, and I've made a loaf or two of bread in my time. 

But rice, oh, rice. The bizarre thing is, I can make a decent risotto- it's one of my favorite things to make. But give me a pot of regular rice, some water, and you will find yourself with either a pot with a burned bottom of rice, or a pot with almost completely raw rice, that once the lid comes off when I check it, never seems to cook through.  I attempted rice on several occasions, until I finally threw my hands up and gave it up.  Rice was something I ate at other people's houses, or with my Indian takeout. 

I knew I'd have to conquer my fear of rice, because there are several recipes in the cookbook.  The good thing is, the first one I started with is pretty idiot proof.  You bring rice to a boil, in chicken broth, add some herbs and butter and onions, and then put the whole kit in the oven. when it's done, out comes creamy, delicious rice- it's excellent- a very close cousin to risotto, and it was an excellent bed for the Salmon in Foil that I made the same night. 

Maybe I don't need to fear the rice! 

2 comments:

  1. That rice looks delicious!

    I have to share another rice "recipe" I recently started using. It's totally miraculous. I was making a goulash recipe from Jamie Oliver:
    http://tinyurl.com/JOrice
    that included instructions on how to cook the rice to serve with it. It turned out light and fluffy and perfect with no effort at all which never happens for me.

    Basically you cook it for 10 minutes then drain and steam it for another 10. It's definitely a long grain method so good for when you want fluffy rather than creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still prefer my classic stove-top recipe, but this was tasty. Used shallots instead of onion, which worked out fine.

    ReplyDelete