Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chocolate Quakes- 2002

IMG_2777

 This recipe did not want to work for me.  I was going to a tea party for my friend Michelle's birthday, a  potluck, so I decided to take two kinds of cookies, that I thought would go well with tea.


The first batch I made, I mixed it all up, and then when I put it into the fridge to chill, then went to clean up, I tasted the batter on the whisk attachment for my mixer, and it became instantly apparent that there was an excessive alcohol-y rancid taste. I sniffed my bottle of vanilla, and cursed loudly. It appears the vanilla had gone off. I didn't even know that could happen!


I dumped that batch, and began again, melting, mixing, and stirring, and thinking that it didn't seem to make that much batter.  I am used to making large batches of cookies (my chocolate chip make 5 or six dozen)  so I chalked it up to the recipe yielding less cookies.  I put it in the fridge to chill, and then went to do the dishes, and realized that instead of the half cup measure that THOUGHT I was using, I was in fact using the 1/3 cup scoop. Annoyed, I tried to measure out (by eye... )  the remaining amounts of sugar and flour that the recipe needed.  Leaving that in the fridge, I began to make the other cookies that I had planned for today.


I contemplated making another batch of the cookies today, but I think I may try them again tomorrow night- My sister is coming over for dinner, and she can take the leftovers with her.


So I coated them in sugar, and baked them off, (I overbaked them, I think- the luck continues) and they look pretty nice.  I took them to the party, and people seemed to enjoy them, I think it went nicely with tea. 

1 comment: