Friday, November 5, 2010

The Book.

So up until this point, I have been using recipes from the book that I have found online, because my book was coming from Amazon. And because the USPS sucks on a regular basis (I think my apartment complex got a new mailperson, because they usually leave packages in the rental office, instead of driving me insane with the notes about delivery attempts. And having the most inconvenient branch hours ever. Okay, end rant about the USPS)

So, I got home today, and my book was waiting for me! VERY EXCITING. I have spent the evening on and off looking at it, flipping through the chapters, making notes to myself, and putting in post-its for things I want to cook right away.

Right off the bat, I know I want to make the Pumpkin Black Bean soup. I am excited about the Salad chapter, especially the Fennel and Blood Orange salad and the Rosemary and Feta Salad (plus any salad with beets. I looooove beets- and it appears Amanda Hesser does too, because there are a lot of delicious looking beet recipes in the book.

My love of soup is pretty legendary (I love to make it, and to eat it. but especially the making of soup- I find it familiar, and comforting.)  I can't wait to make the Carrot and Fennel soup, and Pho! ( I love pho, and would have never attempted making it before this.  plus, butternut squash and cider soup sounds amazing.

The vegetable chapters look great, and Shredded Brussels with Bacon and Pine Nuts is coming up first, and chilled sesame spinach, and Eggplant Involtini (I'm going to wait until my mom comes down to make that one, because she loves eggplant)  I love that there is a whole chapter devoted to potatoes, corn and Legumes, because as an Irish girl, I am very dedicated to my potatoes.  The chicken and seafood recipes look awesome, and I am looking forward to making brisket and short ribs.

And the appetizers! Oh, the appetizers.  Fried Olives, Spinach Dip with Chipotle and Lime,  Cheese Balls!  Plus Gougeres, and Scotch eggs,   I think that the Appetizer chapter may be my favorite.  The Cheese Straws that I've already made have definitely were fantastic.

There are too many desserts to count that I can't wait to make, and my family should get ready, because they are getting candies from the book in Christmas Baskets this year.

It is obvious that this book was put together with a lot of care and thought, as well as a great sense of humor. I like that there is a recipe index at the beginning of each chapter, and then when you get into the chapter, they are organized chronologically. I am already planning my decade themed dinners.  

 Having the book in front of me makes the project a seem a little more daunting than I originally thought, but I'm setting my course, and beginning this crazy journey.  Right now it's 12:20 am, and I need to stop flipping through the book, but I've got time tomorrow, and I'm going to formulate my plan.  First up this weekend:  An appetizer, a vegetable, a cocktail, and a Main Course for Sunday night dinner with my sister.

Those of you that have the book, any suggestions?

8 comments:

  1. You make me want to buy the book so I can follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy carp, that is an undertaking! I took the book to bed last night and was amazed variety of recipes. Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see and taste everything you make. My book arrives Monday so I can follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attending 2 events featuring THE BOOK in San Francisco this weekend. Pre-ordered signed copy and looking forward to meeting AH. Bringing separate carry-on to lug book home to San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am terrified to make scotch eggs, because they look VERY EASY TO RUIN, but if and when you choose to make them I will come and be brave with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @jules You should! it's only 22 bucks on Amazon

    @nm thanks!

    @ Brenda Yay, Book!

    @ Liz- i know! it's a behemoth! I have been carrying mine around because i'm still reading/taking notes, figuring out my plan, and it's heavy!

    @sarah lynn- I am taking you up on that, because i am going to need company, especially if it is going to be epic fail

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made the mashed potatoes Anna several times and - if you haven't tried them - they are GREAT. Just made the beef bourguinon I tonight and served it over leftover mashed potatoes. The bbI was incredible!!! And so easy; it really makes me wonder why more people don't cook - this was REALLY SIMPLE to make and tasted better than most anything served in a restaurant.
    On the other hand, the lasagne (which was also amazingly tasty) took about 4 hours to make and was pretty complicated. It was such a huge amount that I froze most of it. When I served it on New Year's Eve to three teenage boys and two other adults on New Year's Eve, though, it was met with rave reviews.

    ReplyDelete