Monday, November 22, 2010

Two Day Brown Butter Madelines- 2001

Two Day Brown Butter Madelines


I have been doing more frowning in the kitchen,  When a recipe is not the way I imagined it would turn out in my mind's eye (mind's mouth? that sounds weird)  I tend to furrow my brow and think about it. Is it something I did wrong?  Was the room too hot/ batter not rested enough/did my butter not brown all the way?  I am frowning now, even as I am writing this.  Another problem with some recipes is that I've never had them before.  With, say the Corn chowder- I know what I like with Corn Chowder, and I can pinpoint X and Y.  With something like Madelines, which I've never had...  it's harder to put my finger on the problem. Or in fact, if it is a problem at all.


I think part of the issue is I was expecting it to be more like a cookie.  But it's not a cookie, so much- it's much more cake-like.  I also thought that the flavor of the lemon would be much more pronounced.  Tasting them right out of the oven, they seemed kind of bland.  Good with tea, though.  I was bringing the leftovers to work, and I thought that they needed a flavor bump, so i made a lemon glaze (with lemon, confectioner's sugar and lemon zest, and dipped the tops in that, and allowed them to dry overnight with the glaze.  That seems to fix the flavor issue- they've got a lot more flavor now-  But I worry. is it just because I don't appreciate muted and toned down flavors? hmm.  Something to think about.

My co-workers seemed to like them though, which is always a good thing.

The best part of the experience though, was using the Madeline pans.  I scored them at a garage sale for $1 each- easily my most awesome garage sale score.  I hadn't ever used them before this, and I had definitely been meaning to.

Coming up this week:  Butternut Squash Cider Soup, Roasted Cauliflower, Perfect Batch of Rice, Baked Mushrooms



3 comments:

  1. Val,
    Maybe you should have a research section for untried recipes, for example, finding an excellent bakery in Baltimore known for this type of cookie. It would provide you with a point of reference and also a tasty shout out to local businesses, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, I eat Madeleines all the time. They should be kinda bland tasting with just the slightest hint of lemon. hint seems too strong a word. When I saw your picture, they look exactly like the ones you buy in France. Therefore, you have succeeded!!!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jes- Ha! yes, I would love to do that, but unfortunately the budget will not allow that.

    Andrea- I should have made them for you! Bad timing.

    ReplyDelete