Monday, November 8, 2010

English Tea Cart Wafers-1992

IMG_2778

I got my cookie mojo back with these tea cookies, but they require a little trial and error.  In the headnote of the recipe, Amanda (is it weird to say Amanda? Amanda Hesser seems very formal.) says that this recipe takes a few times to get the proportions of cookie right.  The recipe also calls for a cookie press, which I don't have, but says that you can substitute a pastry bag with a tip.

I mixed together the ingredients, and put half the dough into the piping bag, and began to pipe out what I assumed to be three inch sections (still needed for the project: a ruler)  and once I had piped them out, put them in the oven to bake.  They were pretty big, significantly bigger than the suggestion of making them finger sized,  so when they came out of the oven, I piped the next batch out, and then sliced them in half.  That, proportionally seemed to work a lot better than the whole logs.

Once the cookies came out of the oven and cooled, I put together the chocolate glaze (using Ghiradelli chips- which I recommend!)  and dipped half of the cookies in the glaze and set to dry.  I  spread the other cookies with homemade raspberry jam that my mom made , and then sandwiched the cookies together.  I think if I make these again, I would take the extra step to put the jam in a piping bag and pipe it  on, because the  spreading method caused the jam to come out of the sides of the cookies a little too much.

They are really, really delicious. I love raspberry and chocolate combination, and the shortbread style cookie was really good as well.  Of the two cookies I made yesterday, they were the hands down winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment