Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Chicken Fricassee- 1968

IMG_2785
Chicken Fricassee, pasta, green beans
 
This dish is rich- not something that you'd want to have every day, but definitely something that is a good, homey, Sunday dinner kind of meal.  It was pretty easy to put together, I halved the recipe (since there were just two of us for dinner)  and since I couldn't find any 3lbs chickens that were already butchered I grabbed 3lbs of chicken thighs, which I think are the best part anyway.  The recipe worked really well. I think I was a little more organized this time, and had read through the recipe a bunch of times before I got into the kitchen.  I set up the mis-en-place before I started, which was good, because a bunch of ingredients to into the pot at once, then the lid is put on, and it goes into a 400 degree oven to braise.  
 
I pulled the pot out of the oven, and put it on the stove, took the lid off, and (all with potholders)  and began to skim of the fat that had collected at the top of the dish. I added half of the cream, and then went to put the lid over by the sink, and without realizing it, grabbed the handle on top of the lid with three fingers of my left hand. I yelled (really loudly- and scared the cat)  and immediately ran my fingers under cold water, kicking myself for being such an idiot.  You see, this is not the first time I've been burned in the kitchen. It is not even the first time in the last three weeks  I've burned myself in the kitchen.  A few weeks ago I was the recipient of first and second degree burns on my chest/front from boiling hot water (woo!)  Note to self: BE MORE CAREFUL.   After cooking the rest of the dinner one handed, with an ice cube wrapped in a paper towel, (thank goodness that most of the dinner was done at this point)
 
I was going to make Perfect Batch of Rice with this dinner, but realized once I got home that I only have one pot that can go from stovetop to oven.  So Perfect Rice will have to be another time.  I made some pasta to go with, and steamed some green beans.   As I began do dig into my dinner (one handed) to the dinner, I realized that the burning fingers were worth it. Creamy, and velvety, the tarragon stands out, and the hit of lemon at the end really rounds out the flavor.  It's not a meal I could make every day- that much cream would be extremely detrimental to my health- but for a sunday dinner, or special occasion, I think this dish really works. 

4 comments:

  1. Val, I ordered this book so I can watch along with you. I think you've inspired me to get back into cooking new things, and to get out of my rut. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm putting potholders on your Christmas list! The dish sounds great, I love the word frickasee! I may have to invest in the book to work on a list of requested recipes for when you come home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val,
    I too love reading about your cooking, I came home from a particularly long and difficult day of teaching and was happy to see another installment of VCNYTCB had been posted. I am now thumbing through some books on wine pairing that I have and planning a delicious french feast for friends. Thanks for the culinary inspiration, keep up the good work! Also, I think I probably singe my fingers every time I cook (a reward for being easily distracted, I suppose!), but do be careful!
    Cheers!
    Jes

    ReplyDelete
  4. while shopping today, i saw potholders. almost bought them for you.

    i say almost because i stopped and said "she's probably already got a ton"...

    let me know if you want me to pick some up for you :)

    ReplyDelete